Women’s Electoral Lobby is a feminist non-party political lobby group, established in Melbourne on February 27, 1972.
Good News: The Sex Discrimination Commissioner Kate Jenkins has announced a National Enquiry into sexual harassment at Australian workplaces and an address to the U.N. Human Rights Council about abuse of women and girls. See Discrimination page.
A FAIR GO FOR WOMEN – HOW?
* better access to quality affordable child care
* increase funding for education and pre-school
* family friendly, flexible, safe work and workplaces
* better welfare system for women in poverty
* more women on decision-making boards
* stop male violence against women
WEL VICTORIA POLICIES:
1. Ensure costs and benefits are fairly distributed between women and men;
2. Value and reward people’s different skills and contributions;
3. Recognise the value of caring and supporting roles, whether paid or unpaid;
4. Rectify past and current inequalities between men and women;
5. Enhance opportunities for both women and men to take on equal rights and responsibilities.
OUR ONGOING CAMPAIGNS including alerts on discrimination, violence and sexism. Women have had enough of male violence. Lobby your politicians to end violence against women and children. Men must not turn the other way when they see violence, else they are colluding in criminal behaviour. WEL Victoria supports the new #ME TOO Campaign against work abuse. WEL Victoria will lobby against the high cost of University fees and urges the government to fully fund the Gonski reforms for better education.
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Our recent lobbying:
* fair treatment for women in low paid jobs who are trying to balance work and family responsibilities;
* fair treatment of women affected by changes to Industrial Relations Laws;
* accessible, affordable and quality child care;
* support the Family Violence Bill of Victoria which deals with violence against women. See our Issues/Violence page and WEL Australia’s draft submission to the National Council on Violence.
LOBBYING GETS RESULTS – Previous Sex Discrimination Commissioner of the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, Elizabeth Broderick, conducted a Listening Tour around Australia and announced a “roadmap towards gender equality”. CLICK to read the HREOC Media Release with proposed outcomes for women, in tune with WEL’s lobbying (return here with Back arrow).
AND MORE LOBBYING – The Federal Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee has inquired into the effectiveness of the Commonwealth Sex Discrimination Act 1984 in eliminating discrimination and promoting gender equality. CLICK to read the WEL Australia submission.
SUCCESSFUL LOBBYING – Labor Policy: Federal Government boards to comprise at least 40 percent women. We will be lobbying the Government to amend the Corporations Act to ensure this in all public companies. Click here for the WEL submission calling for 40 percent women on boards.
Visit http://www.wel.org.au/ for Women’s Electoral Lobby Australia website for national policies and information about other WEL groups around the country.
WEL Australia has developed a policy which we all endorse: Women and Children’s Safety Program (WCSP). This program aims to keep women and their children safe. To pledge support visit www.wel.org.au/pledge_wel
WEL Australia statement covering key issues affecting women – click to read it (return here with Back arrow).
Send WEL Victoria an email on any matter important to women at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you, your opinion and ideas count.
THINK WEL BEFORE YOU VOTE!